Thursday, August 23, 2007

Off-leash fun in Cambridge, MA

They say there is no better exercise for a dog than dog-dog play. Two of our favorite local places for off-leash fun are the field in the back of the King Open School on Cambridge St. (not an official off-leash park, but at select times many people let their well-socialized dogs off-leash and everyone who does this picks up) and Danehy Park. Dogs are social animals, so they need to play with other dogs. Hagrid is happiest in the company of dogs who love to run around and chase him. We're still working on a solid recall (he has selective hearing, or is too smart to want to be lured away from his most favoritest activity on earth by silly old me, his human companion). Hagrid's a small dog with a big personality. I'm always surprised when big dog humans worry that their dog will frighten Hagrid. Nope, no, siree, Bob! Hagrid promotes positive press for small dogs by just being himself. (That is, except for the fat ass guy sitting on his lawn chair watching the dogs play at the dog field, and commenting that Hagrid was way too hyper for him. Hrmpf! While I'm on this topic, what's up with people who know nothing about canine behavior and body language but feel free to comment on other people's dogs? For example, when Hagrid got down on his belly to signal another dog to play with him, someone told me that my dog was scared. Hello?! He's not scared! He's saying, come play with me! And when Hagrid was lying down after a vigorous romp, an obese lady told me my dog was lazy. Good thing I observed the rule that if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I don't know how much longer I can hold my tongue the next time I am the recipient of a rude or ignorant comment about my dog. Dumbasses should shut up and mind their own business.)

1 comment:

  1. Hagrid is a great name! Thanks for linking to DogBoston and let me know if I can update the dog parks page to make it easier to find stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.