Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Vegetarian human, carnivorous dog


Two and a half weeks ago I began to feed Hagrid a raw diet. I switched because all the evidence was pointing to raw as the most nutritious and best for canine health. So far he's taken to it with gusto! I'm going slowly as all the books suggest. He's had chicken wing, chicken drumstick, chicken neck, chicken giblets, chicken liver, fresh mackerel (head and all!), fresh anchovies from Greece, beef tongue, beef liver, beef short rib. I want to add turkey, lamb, rabbit, and other meats slowly. In addition, he enjoys veggies (fresh and cooked), fruits, anything that smells yummy. I supplement with wild salmon oil, vitamin C, vitamin E, digestive enzyme powder, garlic, and brewer's yeast. Since the switch, Hagrid has had no skin symptoms, produces well-formed, odorless stool half the size of before, and drinks noticeably less water.

I try to feed him the best quality I can find and afford. My sources for meat: the Mayflower Poultry Company, Austin Brothers Valley Farm at the Central Square farmers' market, River Rock Farm at the Davis Square farmers' market, New Deal Fish Market, Trader Joe's, Harvest Co-op, and sometimes Whole Foods. Butchers, farmers, and fisherman are the secret healers of the world. All the people I've met are kind, helpful, knowledgeable, and honest. No request is too small. It's a shame I've missed out on meat shopping since going vegetarian when I was 13. Nothing is quite like the meat markets of my childhood in Hong Kong or some markets I visited in Europe, but New Deal and Mayflower come close to it. I love the return to that idyllic frame of reference to the food we eat. Other places I shop for food: Capone's, Union Square farmers' market, Pemberton Farms, Market Basket, Shaw's, Shalimar, Evergood in Cambridge.

Here are some fun links to follow: http://www.eatwild.com/products/massachusetts.html, http://www.massfarmersmarkets.org/, http://www.buylocalfood.com/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.