Monday, March 21, 2016

A Well of Tears for the Last Golden Lotuses

I have small feet. A women's size 5, youth 3.5, European 35, to be exact. And yes, I sometimes shop in the youth section of retail and online shoe stores. But it turns out that my so-called small feet would have been giant grotesque deformities had I been born 65 years earlier in China.

Although footbinding was officially banned in China in 1912, in actuality it took much longer for the millenium old practice and aesthetic to fade from favor. 

My mother tells stories of her grandmother, my great grandmother, who had bound feet, changing her foot binding bandages every few weeks. When great grandmother unwound her bandages, soaked her feet in a basin of hot water, hand washed her binding cloths, and hung them out to air dry, the children shrieked and ran from the holy pungent reek of dead skin and marinated sweat.

After my grandmother, born in 1921, was sold to distant relatives for 5 silver coins by her heroin addicted father shortly after the death of her mother (you can read about it here), she was put to work to earn her keep. An orphan girl, she was not high statused enough to have her feet bound, but her relatives did force her (out of love?) to make her own shoes at least a few sizes too small to preserve her chance at a decent marriage. My grandmother told me she surreptitiously made her shoes larger so her feet would not hurt as much, but when the grown ups noticed, they sent her right back to work making shoes that they deemed acceptable. They hurt like hell and contorted her feet.

This poem is inspired by stories passed down to me through my grandmother and my mother.



It was a gesture of love.

Around ages 5 or 6
(Sometimes as early as age 3)
A loving mother
Soaked her daughter's feet
In hot water infused with medicinal herbs
(Sometimes in animal blood)
Anointed her child's feet
With a mixture of herbs and oil
Clipped her toenails short.

Mother lovingly massaged
Daughter's perfectly formed feet, bones still soft,
Skin yet uncallused
Toes plump.

Some mothers consulted fortune-tellers
Waited for the most auspicious day
To initiate daughters
Into a life that improved
Their prospects for marriage.

Some waited until winter, when the cold
Numbed the pain a little.

But who were they kidding? 

Breaking the bones
Of a little girl's feet
Eight toes 
Smushed and bent
Inward to the sole
Held in place with a 10 foot by 2 inch binding cloth
Soaked in hot water
(So that it would shrink as it dried)
Wound over and over itself
Sewn in place
With needle and thread
Sometimes so tightly the needle went through the toes 
--Is not for the faint of heart.

(If they were lucky
The big toe
Was left to breathe alone
Unbroken.)

Daughters were forced to walk 
In their bandaged feet
Until their bones were broken
The arch collapsed into itself
The feet secreted blood and pus.
They cried
Until they understood their mothers 
Could not reverse the process
Once it had begun.

It was a lifetime commitment.

The process of reversal
Would hurt more than the initial 
Breaking of bones. Once the violence was done
There was no going back.

At first their bandages were changed
Every two days
To clean the feet of blood and pus.
Every few weeks the young girls' feet
Were squeezed into even smaller shoes.

The ideal outcome:
A 3 inch golden lotus.
A 4 inch silver lotus 
Was acceptable.

Anything larger
And you might as well jump
Into a well.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding#/media/File:A_HIGH_CASTE_LADYS_DAINTY_LILY_FEET.jpg



To read more about Chinese footbinding, check out these sources:



9 comments:

  1. I have the biggest feet. I would have been such a disappointment. Interesting to think about all our different cultures, what is admired and desired, what is unacceptable. I have heard about binding feet in China, and thought it must be so painful, but, wow, never thought about "the children shrieked and ran from the holy pungent reek of dead skin and marinated sweat." Ugh. Thank you for the insight! Loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so visceral and unpleasant, but I kept wanting to read because of your voice.

    The stories of the process I've read, and the images, are so horrifying. It's easy, too, for someone not-of-the-culture to dismiss others' practices as insane, but such a valuable thing to consider what equally horrifying cultural practices we inflict upon our own people. Thanks for another amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was spellbound by your slice. Equally beautiful and horrific. It reminds me how very important it is to tell our stories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read about foot binding, but the personal connection makes your piece special. You capture so much here- your personal family history, plus cultural history, status and wealth, and more. I hope you will keep writing about your family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again you have simultaneously informed and moved me! Now, I believe my health is tied to the state of my feet; thus, I do not wear heels. Your descriptions are so poignant, I feel the "pressure" put on young girl's feet. I find the following section so strong:
    Breaking the bones
    Of a little girl's feet
    Eight toes
    Smushed and bent
    Inward to the soleg
    Held in place with a 10 foot by 2 inch binding cloth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like how you put it: your health is tied to the state of your feet. I don't wear high heels either. For myself and for all the Chinese women who came before me. Liberate the feet!!!

      Delete
  6. Your personal connection makes this even more poignant, the awful things cultures do for beauty! I've read Snowflower & The Secret Fan by Lisa See with my students, so sad but happy at the same time for the relationships. I love that you wrote a poem about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I found a video from the movie version of the book to include just as you wrote your comment here.

      Delete
  7. This was a brutal, beautiful post (I think Glennon Doyle from Momastery would call this brutiful). How much have we asked people to sacrifice for standards of beauty? How much pain? I am so sorry this happened, yet am so grateful that you are telling these stories. You are doing a wonderful job bearing witness. Thank you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.