Thursday, March 17, 2016

Flirting with the idea of a micro home

Ever since my summer of Marie Kondo's Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I've been flirting with the idea of micro living. The KonMari method is radical and zen-like in its simplicity: does it spark joy? If not, give it thanks and release it back into the universe (donate or discard). 

The process of sorting and putting everything in its proper place showed me how much junk one accumulates without thinking. After holding every object I own in my hands (a very important step in the process of deciding whether something sparks joy), I vowed never to mindlessly bring objects into my space again. 

Marie Kondo asks each of her clients to begin by visualizing the finished space. What does it look like? What feelings does it evoke?

When I began Kondo-izing my space, I pictured a streamlined, less cluttered version of my current space. I imagined myself opening cabinets and closets and seeing exactly what I have in stock. I wanted less noise from the accumulated stuff, more calm. 

The more I discarded and donated, the more I craved simplicity. 

I can see exactly what I have now in all my closets, cabinets, and drawers. I even whittled down my collection of books from four bookcases to one shelf. 

Now, my 650 sq. ft. 1 bedroom condo feels wasteful. 

I could be really happy in a micro home. Check out this amazing 269 sq. ft. home designed by architect Valentina Maini. It even has a bathtub!


Postscript (3/19/16): Here are a couple more videos of effective use of small spaces.







7 comments:

  1. I'm always intrigued by these. Did you ever go to IKEA and look at the tiny living spaces that have set up throughout their store? Amazing. I wish I could live such a simple life. I don't know that I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I could take that plunge into simplicity. You're post is inspiring. Off to clean out a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something my wife has been talking about doing. I will have to tell her it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you! I don't need a huge house, but micro living is not my thing! Did you see the documentary Tiny on Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this book, and have dipped into it, but haven't really read it in any depth yet. I admire people who have. And I love this tiny space! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I love how you think before you bring "things" into your space. I have the same instinct to think before I bring in anything into my home-even one of those delivery menus that I have to throw away when my father brings one into the house. I loved the hidden bath in the tiny apartment. She talked about how having different points gives the house various angels. I am so impressed that you did the life-changing decluttering.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.