Tuesday, March 22, 2016

All we have is the present moment: thoughts inspired by an icebreaker

This morning's compulsory curriculum planning session began with an icebreaker: "Where do you see yourself in 20 years?"

I used to yearn toward the future, but these days I am much more interested in the present moment.

I am not reckless. I use a calendar and honor my commitments. I am adequately insured. I put money away in retirement accounts. I make extra payments on my mortgage on a regular basis. I do not let Hagrid's food run out. I take my vitamins every morning. Beyond following Suze Orman's financial advice and fulfilling my responsibilities, though, I prefer to devote my attention to being present.

The universe never ceases to amaze me in its perfect timing. Although over the years several people told me about the book called The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle, I did not read it until two years ago. And when I did, everything made sense. Oh, yes. This really is simple. All we have is the here and now. All the suffering we create for ourselves can be attributed to attachment to the past or worry about the future.

I'm pretty sure this book would not have interested me in the least all those years ago when I first heard about it.

Now, what matters to me is remembering to breathe. Waking up and dwelling for the first few moment of my wakefulness, before I rise from bed to begin my day, on things to be grateful for. Feeling Hagrid's warmth snuggled against my right shoulder as he occupies three quarters of the bed and I get the remaining quarter. The stillness of our morning walks at sunrise before I head off to work. The chime of an incoming text from a friend or family member whom I was just thinking about. A shared laugh.

So when it was my turn to answer the icebreaker question, I said, "In twenty years? Whatever it is that I want in twenty years is something I prefer to live by now."

I couldn't help but think of the Belgians who woke up and went about their day by riding the subway and going to the airport this morning. 



(Postscript: I just looked out and noticed the beautiful orangish glow of the almost full moon! Check it out!

Post-postscript: My icebreaker answer may not have been my only act of subversion during the meeting today....)



12 comments:

  1. Great answer! I'm with you. I'm making and living my goals today. Tomorrow will be today when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is all we know we have, and

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much of life we miss by worrying about what has happened and what we have no control over happening. Children and dogs are constant reminders to just live. This is all we have. I think you'd also like Marc and Angel Hack Life. I read them regularly. I love that you were subversive at mandated PD. Speak your truth!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out Marc and Angel Hack Life... thank you!

      Delete
  4. 20 years! This must have seemed like an impossible challenge to many of your students - doubling, maybe tripling their lives? (I'm not sure of your age group.) How fun! Loved this. And love the idea of being present, being in "now."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH this was a curriculum planning session for teachers.

      Delete
  5. I think mindfulness is the best "buzzword" to come out in years. Yoga, meditation, writing, and now K are the only things that keep me from otherwise turning into the worst stereotype of a totally neurotic Jew. Yes, live in the moment!

    (I do love planning, though. Mostly travel.)

    (Also, I want to hear all about the meeting, and you being subversive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, planning a trip is even more therapeutic than going on the trip! http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/how-vacations-affect-your-happiness/

      I'll tell you about my subversion in person ;)

      Delete
  6. In this moment, you are happy. I love your descriptions In the "what's matter" paragraph. You have an amazingly healthy approach to life. I love how you balance being meticulously organized yet not consumed by the past or future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is wisdom to be found here! yes, to the present moment! (and I venture to say I am not alone in my curiosity of your particular subversions!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, yes to staying in the moment!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.