Saturday, March 5, 2016

Chinesey hair and the time I got a perm


On a recent episode of "Fresh Off The Boat," Emery gets what his father, Louis, calls a "success perm" on the occasion of his tennis final, strutting his stuff under the tutelage of none other than tennis legend Billie Jean King herself. 


(Kevin Estrada/ABC http://www.ew.com/recap/fresh-off-the-boat-season-2-episode-14)
I laughed so hard it hurt. Yes, there is the humor of the game faces of protégé and coach side-by-side, matching headbands and tennis outfits. Then there are all the inside jokes you might need to be Asian (or know one really well) to get. 

In my girlhood, as a special treat sometimes, I would give myself a "perm." At bedtime I washed my hair, combed it out, and while it was still wet, separated my thick, long mane into the smallest tresses my nine year old hands could manage; then I got to work braiding and braiding. I had learned from trial and error that braiding hair while it was still wet and letting it dry in braids overnight increased the amount of wave yielded.

Sleeping in braids is not at all comfortable, but even as a nine year old, I was disciplined in my determination to have a head full of wavy hair. In the morning, after carefully unraveling the fasteners and finger combing my hair... voila, my "perm"! Depending on the temperature and humidity, my "perm" lasted anywhere from an hour to several hours. Like Cinderella, the clock never fails to strike midnight when you are born with straight, thick, silky-smooth hair but dream of wavy curls.

In middle school, after begging and begging my mom, I got my first real perm. I didn't know it at the time, but it was also the ONLY perm I've ever wanted so far in my life.

I pictured myself looking like Alyssa Milano. I told my mom that for my birthday, Christmas, and Chinese New Year, all I wanted was a perm. Up until my Alyssa Milano ambition, my talented mom had given me fabulous haircuts my entire life. Somehow my mother agreed to the perm, and to this day it is not lost on me that my parents sacrificed money that could have been better spent on far more pressing concerns at the time, like groceries, utilities, and rent. We had only been in the country for two years, and like many immigrants, my parents left behind a life of relative comfort in order to give their children opportunities they had not had. They paid the price of starting at the bottom again, both working menial jobs, my mom at a fast food restaurant, my dad at a Chinese restaurant. 

Maybe my mom pitied me for the hair woes I seemed to have had since day one. I was born with a full crown of unruly hair, cartoonish, really, in the way it stuck straight up, as though I had been lit up by an electrical current and lived to tell about it. My nickname was Lion Head. As an infant, I had a terrible case of cradle cap. Grandma told me that she'd get to work picking off giant yellow crusts while she watched her Cantonese soaps.

Mom took me to the national chain hair salon at the suburban strip mall. The entire process from childhood fairy tale aspiration to crushing reality took only a few hours. The chemicals burned my nostrils and left a rash along my hairline and neck. My once lustrous healthy hair turned brittle and yellowish brown. For weeks afterward my hair fell out in clumps. It was unruly, and I was relegated to brushing or combing only while it was still wet. I didn't know that perms were so fussy to maintain. 

When I showed up to my babysitting gig with my new perm, my toddler charge told me she liked my "Chinesey" hair better. Me, too, kiddo. Me, too. 

It took about three years to grow it out, but eventually my healthy straight hair returned. Ever since that incident, I have never felt the need to curl my hair again. I don't even blow dry it, and the more I learn about what my curly-haired friends do to maintain their 'dos, the more grateful I am for boring straight hair. 

Lion Head
Alyssa Milano Wannabe Phase
high school graduation, straight boring hair with my beloved grandmother


13 comments:

  1. A great post that brought me back to my perm days. My hair was straight, but my mother was out to fix that by making me put rollers in my hair every night before bed, sometimes she tried rag curls to no real avail. Then she bought a Toni perm product to do at home. The smell was horrendous and still my hair was straight, but now damaged. Then came the JC Penny hair salon. I was in middle school. A boy asked me the day after if I had put my finger in an electric socket to make my hair look that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG rag curls!!! I tried those after seeing it on an episode of Little House on the Prairie. After a very uncomfortable night, I unraveled the rags,a nd just like you, hair still straight! JC Penny Hair Salon... this is great. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

      Delete
  2. We probably could all tell stories about our hair. I always envied my friends with straight hair. I've heard others share the same about curly. Glad that you have found a way to wear your hair that pleases you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, can relate to your hair woes; hair (the way it looked, how it was cut, etc) has been a major issue I've struggled with throughout my life. What I like most about your post though is the respect for your parents/grandparents and your reflection on the impact of your decision. This was great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piece connects to so many. You write, "Mom took me to the national chain hair salon at the suburban strip mall. The entire process from childhood fairy tale aspiration to crushing reality took only a few hours." Through this key symbol of hair, you have reflected on your dreams, your parents' sacrifices, and the reality of such ephemeral chemical procedures. I love this piece. Thank you for the photos. Alyssa Milano! How can we forget! It was great to see your picture with you and your beautiful hair and your wonderful grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THESE PHOTOS, THOUGH!!!!! OMG. This might be one of the best stories about you I've ever read. It was equal parts hysterical and horrible (well, for your hair that fell out, RIP). I totally needed this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, when I was in high school/college, stick-straight hair was The Thing, and of course I flat-ironed my curls until I singed them. (Only a couple of times, the burning.) Thank you for the laugh! Would you mind if I used part of this post (anonymously, if you prefer) to teach humor writing to my Creative Writing class on Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh be my guest! There are so many humor mentor texts out there, but if you want to use this, go for it. I don't mind if you use my name and pics... why not!???

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful post that took me down to my own hair memory lane. I, too, begged for a perm but was also denied by my mom. After reading your post I thought, is it a right of passage for a teen girl to beg and then finally get a perm?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hair woes seem to be universal don't they? Those of us with stick-straight hair want curly and people with curly hair seem to want straight. I've been to the JC Penney salon myself, and let me tell you, that spiral perm was a HUGE mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for reminding me of the name of the perm I got: spiral! Of course. Spiral perms were all the rage among my middle school girlfriends. So glad I never got a second one.

      Delete
  9. What a terrific hair story. I was one of those kids on the other side. I had short super naturally curly hair most of my life. Both of my sisters had long, straight hair, which was what I really, really wanted. When my hair got long, it got super bushy, and my mom always said it looked like a lion's mane. I want to share this with some middle school writers. I bet it would inspire more great hair stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems like everyone has a hair story. I bet your middle schoolers would love to write about this topic or another physical feature through which they learned something about themselves. Thanks for taking the time to read this and comment.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.