Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Leaping headlong into the sea

“...I leaped headlong into the Sea, and thereby have become more acquainted with the Soundings, the quicksands, and the rocks, than if I had stayed upon the green shore, and piped a silly pipe, and took tea and comfortable advice.”--John Keats to J.A. Hessey, 9 October 1818

Spotted on a walk around my neighborhood, February 27, 2016

It has been eight and a half years since I last updated this blog. What brings me back? My amazing colleague, Dr. Kim Parker, invited me to join her in the Slice of Life Story Challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers. You can read about the challenge here.


When Kim told me about the challenge, my initial thoughts followed a familiar pattern: I'm a private person, who has time for this?, I'm afraid to write what's on my mind these days, March has 31 days! As quickly as the thoughts formed, I chuckled, and scolded myself. Every day I ask my students to push past their comfort zones, to try something new, to take risks. I expect them to try. To give me the best they can muster. If I ask that of students, I had better start holding myself to the same standard. No more whining. Just try it. "I'm in!" I told Kim. I sure hoped my enthusiastic voice would convince me by the time March 1st rolled around.

Now that there were TWO of us, we invited our colleagues to join us in the challenge. The more, the merrier, and hey, this is so good for your soul, so good for your teaching. Two more colleagues said yes. And then their yes turned into a maybe. Then all the reasons they couldn't do it. We listened. We reasoned. We cajoled. We fake shunned them. We encouraged again. What is it about the job that so depletes us? What conditions need to be in place for more teachers to embrace a writing life? How might we create a culture of learners who take risks and build a community of playfulness and creativity?

On day one, I notice myself observing the world through a writer's lens. Listening for words and phrases. Doing what I normally do, except with more attention. This afternoon, while walking home from the polling station with Hagrid, I stopped to snap this picture:

"Site of recruiting stand for the Union soldiers in Civil War was in front of this building 1861-1865"

I have walked past this monument so many times. Today I stopped to read the words on it.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogging and welcome to the challenge! This is my fifth year, and I found myself saying some of those same things you said as March drew closer. In the end, though, I'm always glad I participated. I find I appreciate small things more at the end of the month. Wishing you great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fake shunned"! I love this challenge because it puts us in the place of walking the talk. I might even tell kids I'm doing it tomorrow. Tonight, when I was writing my slice, I said: let me write something I can workshop with kids (i.e., a snapshot) and I found myself thinking of all the minilessons we've done and thinking and rethinking and writing. I loved it! I like how you're noticing little things. Flowers mean spring, too. I always think of you as super duper observant, so I can't wait to read what you write. I imagine you'll be reminding me to pay attention. I need that reminder. Welcome to the Slice of Life. I'm sooooo glad you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the blogging world and welcome to the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I'm delighted your colleague encouraged you to join in the writing fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we ask students to do it daily, shouldn't we try it too? That is a perfect reason to try this challenge. I loved how you noticed more because that's what writers do. Enjoy this month, try something new and it's in the sharing and comments that will give you strength. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These lines really spoke to me: "What conditions need to be in place for more teachers to embrace a writing life? How might we create a culture of learners who take risks and build a community of playfulness and creativity?" These are the questions I keep asking myself, too. So glad you have a colleague to do this with and your dog is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The site of the union recruitment! Isn't it amazing what we see once we start to look?

    I agree with Elsie, too. If we ask our students to try something hard and challenging every day, why shouldn't we ask the same of ourselves?

    Thank you for your spot on questions; "What conditions need to be in place for more teachers to embrace a writing life? How might we create a culture of learners who take risks and build a community of playfulness and creativity?" I will be ruminating over those on my drive home this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First and foremost, Ms. Li, Thank you! Thank you for sharing this thought-provoking and poking piece: indeed, if we expect students to take the risk and do the hard work of diligent daily writing, we need to challenge ourselves. I know the month of March will be an amazing one for you as you experience daily moments through your "writer's lens." Thank you for sharing through beautiful photos, the moments you took the time to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.