Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunrise and a trip to the beach

This morning I woke up as the sun was rising. Hues of reddish orange gently illuminating the horizon, heralding the first morning of daylight savings time. This ephemeral moment of beauty and stillness was just the celestial nudge I needed to make today about self care. Everything else would just have to wait.

Hagrid and I hit the road and headed for the beach. As we wound through roads lined on both sides with marshland, I rolled my windows down to breathe in the salt air. Hagrid poked his nose up in anticipation. I wondered if he remembers the beach from previous seasons. What I would give to be able to read his mind for a day!

Wingaersheek Beach, Gloucester, MA on a 50 degree March morning.
Yay! Dogs are allowed off leash on this beach on odd days before May 1.

I marveled at how quiet it was (in my mind more people would be at the beach on a gorgeous March morning like today), and thanked the universe for giving me just what I needed. It was low tide, as though the ocean was beckoning us to peek into its mysterious bottom. The sounds of the waves gently lapping against the shore soothed my soul. I smiled at an oft-told story of my grandmother dipping my bottom in the ocean to cure me of diaper rash. Grandma liked to say that there is nothing salt water from the ocean cannot cure.

For a brief moment I wondered why I didn't come to the beach more often before dogs are banned between May 1 and September 30, and then I remembered: last year, at this time, we still had mountains of snow piled high, turning sidewalks into narrow one-way paths. 

Here I am a year later on the beach with Hagrid, and I didn't even need gloves or a hat. 

I need to make time to pause and go to the beach with my dog more often. Everything else will just have to wait.


We practically had the whole beach to ourselves. My slice of heaven!



So many good smells to explore.







10 comments:

  1. I felt like I was right there with you! What a beautiful thing that you took time for yourself to enjoy the day with Hagrid at the beach. :) Thanks for taking me with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like your dog enjoyed this me time just as much as you did! :) I love the beach and envy your ability to wake up and go. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference a year makes. Love the pictures. Ah...to be as free as the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I am missing here in Toronto, Canada. The salt water beach is nowhere although we have one of the Great Lakes, Lake Ontario and I am so grateful of that. Unlike you, I meant to be out early yesterday and today and drive down to the lake but did not have a chance. You just started your day with nature. Hopefully, you get more chance to do it more often. Savour the salty air!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your "Slice of Heaven" morning. Yes, thank you for sharing this beautiful morning trip. "A beach of one's own!" Hagrid looks so happy. The minute you approached the beach, your genius Hagrid smelled it coming. This piece is eloquently written. You write, "This ephemeral moment of beauty and stillness was just the celestial nudge..." needed to propel you towards the beach. Thank you again for sharing this moment and the photos. . Oh, I love the image of your grandmother dipping you into the ocean for the salt to heal rashes. You should publish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best morning! I agree: you should publish! These slices are so delightful and well-written. I loved seeing Hagrid's joy, too. He definitely loves his human.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The anecdote about your beloved grandmother, and this line: " It was low tide, as though the ocean was beckoning us to peek into its mysterious bottom." So lovely. Although I wasn't there with you, I feel like I was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an absolutely perfect way to take care of yourself and your four legged friend. My Colorado dog would love, love, love this! And so would I!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt like I was there with you. I'm a little angry myself for not taking a drive down the shore to take in the beautiful ocean today. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt like I was there with you. I'm a little angry myself for not taking a drive down the shore to take in the beautiful ocean today. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.