Thursday, March 10, 2016

Waxing nostalgic over ear picks

Do you know what this is?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Bamboo_ear_pick.jpg/300px-Bamboo_ear_pick.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/29/12/2CE5947C00000578-3252292-image-a-22_1443527547044.jpg

In Asia, ear cleaning is a spa specialty, something to be enjoyed and savored. The art of ear cleaning and ear canal massage dates back to imperial times. Skilled ear cleaning masters use a variety of ear picks and scoops to remove wax and to stimulate acupressure points in the ear canal. It may sound gross, but if you grew up in Asia, ear picking is as natural as getting a scalp massage during a shampoo at the hair salon. Once you've experienced it, you just want more.

As a young girl I was mesmerized by ear picks displayed in museum collections... traditional picks made of bamboo, and more elaborate ones made of jade, gold, ivory, embellished with carvings and sometimes with precious stones. 

On the streets of Asia it is not uncommon to see ear cleaning/ear massage stands, a chair or two on a sidewalk, an ear-cleaning master hanging out with a newspaper or magazine until a customer sits down on the chair. 

At home my mother opened up her "ear cleaning shop" every few weeks to give me and my siblings a home spa treatment. One by one we had our turn: we lay our head on mom's lap, waited for her to adjust the flashlight, then closed our eyes while she used the ear pick to do its magic, trying not to giggle or move as the ear pick tickled us. The routine was sweet torture: mostly relaxing and satisfying, punctuated with moments here and there of discomfort. I loved the smell of mom while resting my head on her lap, I loved my siblings' squeals of excitement whenever mom unloosed an unusually big chunk of wax. I loved the sensation of the ear pick poking around in my ear. 

When I was 10 years old my family immigrated to America. Imagine my shock when I learned in my new country that putting anything smaller than your elbow into your ear is BAD! Q-tips are bad. In what universe have I landed? No ear picking in America? 

I've seen ear cleaning stands in Chinatown NYC, Vancouver, and Montreal, but after years of Western indoctrination on the dangers of putting anything, even a Q-tip, into one's ears, have never worked up the nerve to being a customer. My ear spa days are purely a happy memory from childhood. 

(To read more about the art of ear picking in China, click here. And here.)


10 comments:

  1. I will not lie. I use Qtips. After a hot shower, I love to clean inside my ear in a safe fashion. It's a cleansing experience for me. I never knew about ear cleaning rituals in China I will read up more this weekend. I love the way you describe the way you and your siblings endured the "sweet torture" as you lay your head on her lap. Thank you for sharing this daring piece. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fung Wah and now ear cleaning... I think you're part home slice!

      Delete
    2. I also use Q tips! Although now I'm a bit scared that K will watch me and try to imitate....

      Delete
  2. Michelle,

    In Maine, we used ear candles. My friend George and I did it together once a year and it is very sweet and relaxing. Though medical doctors frown on the practice, I loved it. I used to get mine from a family who had beehives and made them. Here is a little video about ear candles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDCe8vpe8Oc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've totally heard of ear candling and seen videos! I want to try it some day. That is so sweet that you and George did it together once year. Ear cleaning in Asia is something loved ones do together too. Thanks for leaving me a comment, Susan!

      Delete
  3. This piece is great. What a wonderful childhood memory mixed with cultural tension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this. It does sound kind of gross, but evidently it's not, because it seems to have brought you lots of warm memories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this sounds like something I would definitely want to try! I'm afraid to use anything myself -- I lack sufficient grace or dexterity to be confident of avoiding damage! -- but it would be great to find a professional. I'm in NYC, so maybe I need to go check out what's available in Chinatown ...

    Your description of you and your siblings and mom is wonderful. The fact that you lay your head in her lap just feels so satisfying, so mothering. And I'm glad you added the detail of loving the smell of your mother. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these stories! I love it that you write your truth and it's real and beautiful. My sister's kids love it when she cleans their ears. They fall asleep. It's magical.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.