Monday, March 14, 2016

My Pegasus Dog


Wheeeeee! I'm flying! My aunt Mimi says my tail looks like a wing in this picture. Mom says I'm Pegasus. I just want the world to know I love to run and you can't catch me 'cause I'm very fast!!! Wait, what was that? You have a treat? Here I come!

In Greek mythology, Pegasus sprung from Medusa's neck immediately after Perseus decapitated her. After consulting the gods, Perseus learned the secret to defeating Medusa. He succeeded by looking at Medusa's reflection on his polished shield, thus avoiding the fate of turning into stone at the sight of her snake-covered head. When he chopped her head off with his sickle, out of Medusa's neck sprang Pegasus. From then on Pegasus became the loyal steed and companion of Perseus. I love this story of light emerging from darkness, of life springing forth from death, of good triumphing over evil. 

In so many ways, Hagrid is my Pegasus dog. My beacon of light, my very own constellation, my thunder-bolt bearer, my private director of homeland security. One minute he is resting on the couch, and the very next he is BARK BARK BARKING like maniac to alert me that another dog has walked by the sidewalk outside our second floor window!!! He is part shark (on any given walk, I'm always scanning the sidewalks for contraband that he could construe as legitimate food source, because apparently I don't feed him), part Roomba (there is not ever a single crumb of edible anything on my floors, and when we are guests we must always inspect their floors and between couch cushions first). 

According to the AKC official standard, "The Bichon Frise is a small, sturdy, white powder puff of a dog whose merry temperament is evidenced by his plumed tail carried jauntily over the back and his dark-eyed inquisitive expression....A cheerful attitude is the hallmark of the breed." How did someone like me, with a propensity for the melancholy, get matched with such a jaunty powder puff of a dog with merriment as its hallmark trait? Shouldn't Eeyore have been my spirit animal? 

I used to feel a bit sad for Hagrid for being matched with me. Now, I know we are perfect for each other. He is my foil. I don't worry about turning into stone these days because I'm too busy looking for new adventures where he can sniff new smells, chase after squirrels, and roll in stinky things while I delight in his antics. For someone who can happily avoid human interaction for days, Hagrid pulls me out of myself; you can't exactly be a recluse when you live in a city and have to walk your dog. Every night he snuggles against me and rests his royal self on my side as we both drift off to restorative sleep. The next day he wakes up ready to do it all over again with the same enthusiasm as the very first time.

Once again the universe sends me exactly what I needed. It always does. 





8 comments:

  1. What an interesting slice! It sounds like you and Hagrid are perfect for each other! I agree with his aunt, his tail looks exactly like a wing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeyore as a better fit?! Nooo! Hagrid is perfect for you. I think the right dogs always find the right humans. They are just remarkable, aren't they? You should read Mary Oliver's book of poetry about dogs, Dog Songs. It will hit the spot for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO I own that book! She has sketches of Bichon Frise dogs in the collection. <3

      Delete
  3. Yes, Hagrid's tail does look like a wing. I love the caption to the photo. With Hagrid's love and joy you will not turn into stone. Eloquently wriiten: I love how you describe Hagrid as beacon of light, my very own constellation, my thunder-bolt bearer, my private director of homeland security."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of Hagrid! I think we should get our dogs together for a play date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of the best dog photos I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs! They bring so, so, so much to our lives! I have a black lab and for the past two years, I have been fostering my mom's mill rescue maltese. I can't imagine my life without the two of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dog is amazing! And I LOVE the name Hagrid. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below.